Bow Hunter Education Internet + Field Course - 09/20/2020 - (824869)
This course is no longer available for registration.
Back to results
08:30 am - 12:00 pm
6465 Refuge Road
Sherman, TX 75092
Event will be in the Goode Day use areaGet directionsInstructor: Douglas Lambert E-mail: DHL-Archery@sbcglobal.net
The Online + Field Course is ideal for young bow hunters who already have been shooting archery and/or bow hunting. Adults should still assist them with the online course and accompany them during the field course.
The certification process consists of two parts:
- Online coursework: Complete the pay-for Online Bowhunter Education Course.
- Pre-register for and attend a “Field Course” with a TPWD-certified bowhunter education instructor.
- NOTE: Search and register for a field course prior to taking the online bowhunter education course.
**If you are unable to find a Field Course near you or in the time frame you need, place your information on our Wait List. We will contact instructors in your area and attempt to schedule a course.**
When you arrive at the Field Course site:
- Bring the “Field Day” Certificate (Voucher)
- Pay the $15 fee to the instructor.
- Demonstrate appropriate knowledge, skills and attitude while completing the Field Day
- Take the written exam and score at least 75% correct to pass.
- Upon successful completion of Parts 1 and 2, you will PRINT out your permanent card once the instructor submits an online payment. The instructor will let you know. You may legally bow hunt with a valid Texas hunting license and proof of bow hunter education on certain areas (e.g. Hagerman NWR; Granite Shoals Urban Bow Hunt) or in other states that require such certification in addition to their state’s hunter education requirements.
- Note: A bowhunter education certificate does not take the place of a hunter education certificate or state requirement.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Bowhunter Education Course
Sunday 20 September 2020, Hagerman NWR/Sherman, TX
Texas Parks and Wildlife will be conducting a Bowhunter Education course at Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge, Sunday 20 September 2020. The course will be conducted in the Goode Day use area. Address- 6465 Refuge Rd, Sherman, TX 75092- This is the address for the Headquarters. The Goode day use area is North of the HQ across the low water bridge. Note that in the event of heavy rain this bridge may be closed so I would suggest from Hwy 289, west on Hagerman Rd, north on Refuge Rd, west on Hagerman Corp. Rd. There is a restroom available.
This is a field day only
course, participants will need to have completed the Texas online portion (www.NBEF.org
) or http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/texas/
, take the online test, print and bring
the Field Day qualifier form to the course on Saturday.
The plan is to get started at 0830 sharp. It is my expectation to complete the course by noonish. Depending on the number of participants, weather, etc, it may go slightly longer, I apologize in advance.
Course will be 100% outdoors, no archery equipment is necessary, we will not be shooting.
COVID-19- Class size is a maximum of 20. You will be split into 2 groups of 10 and then further into groups of 5.
All participants will be required to arrive with the following items
Face covering (instructor will advise when can be removed)
Clipboard (something to support writing)
Pen and Pencil(s)
Additional suggested items -
Chair, boots, sunscreen, insect repellent
Note that TPWD is using a new registration system, this system will require you to register online using the TPWD website. Search for the 20 September 2020 Field day course, and register.
For all participants, I believe the online course cost is $30.00, the field day portion will be $15.00 and paid at the beginning of the course.
This being a Field Day only course, it’s better suited for a somewhat experienced bowhunter. The short time-frame usually dictates little or no one-on-one instruction. Basically we will cover some important points, engage in a discussion covering rules/ethics, participate in a mock blood-trailing, a shoot-don’t shoot/range estimation exercise, some tree-stand discussion/demo’s, and then a TPWD final test. For those that want to hang around afterward we can have a short Hagerman NWR introduction and/or you can do some refuge scouting.
Let me know if anyone needs handicapped access. Minimum age for certification is 9 years old.
My contact information is Doug at 817-223-2839, DHL-Archery@sbcglobal.net