Hunter Education Instructor Course - 08/03/2017 - (214930)
This course is no longer available for registration.Back to results
11:30 am - 02:00 pm
Instructor: Heidi Rao
Become a Hunter Education InstructorHunter Education's goals are to reduce hunting related accidents and violations; promote safe, responsible and knowledgeable hunting; and enhance hunting traditions and values. We now have more than 3,400 active instructors, including TPWD staff & game wardens, volunteers and professional educators. Instructor-led courses certify an average of 23,000 students per year.
Steps to Instructor Certification
- Complete the Hunter Education Student Course (https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education) Note: If you are interested in teaching Bowhunter Education (https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/bowhunter-education) , you must complete the Student portion of both Hunter and Bowhunter Education, then follow the steps outlined below.
- Register for a Hunter Education Instructor Course - see Instructor Course Schedule (https://tpwd.elementlms.com/) . Many Instructor Courses include both hunter and bowhunter education, but most are separate offerings.
- Download and complete these documents. (https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/instructor-certification-documents)
- Take your completed APPLICATION and signed consent/waiver forms to the Instructor Course. TPWD staff or Area Chief teaching the instructor course will collect all applicable, signed forms and mail to Austin, Attn; Hunter Education, along with their Instructor Final Report form.
- Take the GAME WARDEN INTERVIEW form (blank) with you to the instructor course. If a game warden is present at the course, he/she will conduct an interview and give your completed form to the TPWD Staff member or Area Chief. If a game warden is not present at the Instructor course, please take the blank form to your local game warden. He/she will conduct a proper interview and sign the form, then send it directly to TPWD, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744, Attn: Hunter Education. (Please go to TPWD web site for county list of Game Wardens and their cell phone #s.)
- Review the required Instructor Manual (http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0049a.pdf) prior to attending the instructor training. After processing your application, interview, and course results, TPWD will mail you a "Congratulatory Letter/Packet" with your a name tag template and an instructor patch. Once certified, you will access your own certification card at your account page called 'dashboard' on the ORS (hunter education database) system.
- To represent the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in a professional manner.
- Accept students of all ages into Hunter Education courses and activities as prescribed in Hunter Education Instructor Manual (http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0049a.pdf) (policies & procedures) certifying those 9 years of age and older who pass knowledge, skill and attitude assessments
- Be at least 21 years of age, of reasonably good health, high integrity, pass a written exam and submit to an interview by a game warden (Assistant Instructor applicants must be at least 15 years of age and be sponsored by a certified instructor.)
- Submit to a criminal background check by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (conducted on all employees and volunteers of the agency)
- Certify five or more students per year
- Attend a minimum of one conference, meeting and/or training workshop at least one time per year
add notes here....