Hunter Education Instructor Course - 06/16/2018 - (279735)
This course is no longer available for registration.Back to results
01:30 pm - 06:00 pm
Instructor: John Thompson
Become a Hunter Education InstructorHunter Education's goals are to reduce hunting related accidents and violations; promote safe, responsible and knowledgeable hunting; and enhance hunting traditions and values. We now have more than 3,400 active instructors, including TPWD staff & game wardens, volunteers and professional educators. Instructor-led courses certify an average of 23,000 students per year.
Steps to Instructor Certification
- Complete the Hunter Education Student Course (https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education) Note: If you are interested in teaching Bowhunter Education (https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/bowhunter-education) , you must complete the Student portion of both Hunter and Bowhunter Education, then follow the steps outlined below.
- Register for a Hunter Education Instructor Course - see Instructor Course Schedule (https://tpwd.elementlms.com/) . Many Instructor Courses include both hunter and bowhunter education, but most are separate offerings.
- Download and complete these documents. (https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/instructor-certification-documents)
- Take your completed APPLICATION and signed consent/waiver forms to the Instructor Course. TPWD staff or Area Chief teaching the instructor course will collect all applicable, signed forms and mail to Austin, Attn; Hunter Education, along with their Instructor Final Report form.
- Take the GAME WARDEN INTERVIEW form (blank) with you to the instructor course. If a game warden is present at the course, he/she will conduct an interview and give your completed form to the TPWD Staff member or Area Chief. If a game warden is not present at the Instructor course, please take the blank form to your local game warden. He/she will conduct a proper interview and sign the form, then send it directly to TPWD, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744, Attn: Hunter Education. (Please go to TPWD web site for county list of Game Wardens and their cell phone #s.)
- Review the required Instructor Manual (http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0049a.pdf) prior to attending the instructor training. After processing your application, interview, and course results, TPWD will mail you a "Congratulatory Letter/Packet" with your a name tag template and an instructor patch. Once certified, you will access your own certification card at your account page called 'dashboard' on the ORS (hunter education database) system.
- To represent the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in a professional manner.
- Accept students of all ages into Hunter Education courses and activities as prescribed in Hunter Education Instructor Manual (http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0049a.pdf) (policies & procedures) certifying those 9 years of age and older who pass knowledge, skill and attitude assessments
- Be at least 21 years of age, of reasonably good health, high integrity, pass a written exam and submit to an interview by a game warden (Assistant Instructor applicants must be at least 15 years of age and be sponsored by a certified instructor.)
- Submit to a criminal background check by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (conducted on all employees and volunteers of the agency)
- Certify five or more students per year
- Attend a minimum of one conference, meeting and/or training workshop at least one time per year
INSTRUCTOR NOTES: Hunter Education Instructor: 16 Nottingham Lane, Boerne, TX 78006 DIRECTIONS FROM SAN ANTONIO: From San Antonio go west on IH-10. Take the Ranger Creek Road Exit #438 and turn left under the highway. Turn right at the stop sign. Go approximately 2 miles and turn left on to Upper Cibolo Creek road toward Boerne City Lake. Go about two miles and find Nottingham Lane, turn right. In less than ¼ mile you will find two ranch gates (#15 & #16). Wait without blocking the road at #16. Call me when you have arrived at the gate (210) 602-8032 Instructor: Jack Thompson Class start time 1:00 pm until finished, be flexible. DO NOT BRING FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION INTO WNS Ranch Bring your own lunch and drinks if you like. You are also welcome to come out in the morning (8:30 start time) to observe/help with the Hunter Education and Field class that is going on that morning. I would further advise you to attend or help with the HE Classroom training style. Items you MUST bring with you:
- Great attitude
- Hearing Protection
- Eye protection
- Camp chair
- #2 pencil
- Any Internet capable device (laptop, iPad, Smart phone etc.) Personally I find a WIFI Laptop easier to see and use. Make sure to charge it before class starts.